Friday 23 September 2011

Aseana Food Village

On Wednesday the University of New South Wales held an International Night Market kind of event. It was basically a festival to celebrate the multiculturalism of UNSW. More excitingly, I had the opportunity to help out on the stores that hand a stand there, Aseana Food Village. They are the UNSW Photoclub's (which I am a part of) sponsors, and they wanted a volunteer to take pictures for them. So I thought great! A chance to practice some event photography and to use my new flash.

Oh, I never actually explained yet. I use Pentax K-r, a pretty beginner sort of DSLR. And for that night, I took my 35mm f2.4 and a Metz 58-AF2 flash.

----------------------------------

Anyway, I got there at 4pm, and met the people at Aseana. They are great and friendly, and it was quite nice working with people you don't actually know. They asked for about 40 pictures, which I thought, wow that's not many... too easy! Nope, I thought wrong. I shot around 300 shots, and... only 40 of those shots were 'alright'. Lucky me. I shot mainly with flash, with my shutter speed floating around 120 and aperture around 6 or so and iso of 400-800. I cranked my flash down to about 1/32 or 1/64 of power because it was too bright if I wanted to keep some of the ambient light.

My flash was off camera, slaved to my on-camera (built in) flash, set on controller. This, I found gets me more interesting flash effects at times, as it ensures the built in flash does not affect the exposure. Using my flash off camera was difficult, as I don't have a light stand. So it was basically flash on my left, camera in my right. Luckily, the tent they used for the store was white, and bouncing the flash off that proved quite good. At times I would bounce off the roof, but at other times, I would do some hard lighting trying to create something more interesting.

In the end, they gave a $50 voucher to use and some free food on the night. The food was quite nice. I had some... forgot the name but here's a photo of it =D I do recommend the place. For those reading, if there are people reading, the restaurant can be found in Randwick Sydney.


And... that is all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment