Sunday 6 November 2011

Walking to Work


 It's been a while since my last post. Sorry for the delay, I have been in exam mode for the past 2 weeks and haven't had the opportunity to shoot. So with this craving to pick up my camera, I walked to work (instead of taking a train, thank god it only takes 20 minutes to walk), and took pictures along the way. How I see it, people are naturally drawn to extravagant pictures or epic pictures, but just flick through the everyday life pictures. This is what makes street-scape (trying to differentiate it from street-people photography) hard. It's just a normal street! How exciting can it get?! Well, for those interested one, click read more down below ;p and for those not really interested, just click the close button.


 So before I set out, I knew that it was going to be challenging. I had to think of a way to make photos interesting. So usually how I see how that is possible is, lighting, subject and/or perspective. Those are basically the things you control when shooting. Oh colour as well

As I walked out, I saw my friend walking his dog. That's one thing I can shoot!! So that's what I did. It was actually quite interesting, because believe or not, it was my first time actually shooting a dog. It wouldn't look towards me, so I had to shoot without looking through my camera. Took a few shots, guessing the field of view. In the end, I think I got a nice one, but guess what. Underexposed. Dammit!!! Well, here's the result after saving it in PP. RAW is awesome.


I think when you're walking to shoot, you naturally try to find interesting objects. If something catches your eye, then its worth shooting right? But what about perspectives? Perspectives are quite hard to find, because its an unusual perspective that's interesting. And if it's unusual.... you're not going to just see it right? I've always like this kind of shot, where you have some pole or something, going through your shot. It draws the eyes into the photo. Not exactly satisfied with the focus and depth of field, but it'll do. Black and White for awesomeness!!


What came after was depressing. Flowers, flowers and more flowers. It's like...when you have nothing to shoot, look for flowers. I don't know, I think macro became so popular recently, that most flower shots seem to be boring. Unless there is some extreme lighting or something else, to me, it looks like just another flower. Especially since I'm flower illiterate, and have no idea what kind of flower I'm looking at. So here are flowers... and cupboard. Just to keep you guys somewhat interesting. I don't know what I was going for here, but I opened the cupboard to try and make it look...in use? I thought maybe a drawer in the outdoors would be interesting. That's how true campers camp, bring your furniture with you =D




One interesting thing that happened to me was, I got pulled over because someone thought I was robbing their house. I took some photos of a house being renovated, and they saw me. Their neighbour called out to me, but I just said, "Just taking photos" and walked off. Not sure if that was a smart idea or not, but it happened. Oh wells. Then after some 100-200m down the road, some guy in a car pulled over and asked me what I was doing. I just calmly explained to him that I was taking photos for my own self interest and I was not scouting his house for future robberies. He was quite nice, and just accepted it moved on. So the moral of the story is that, stay calm, and that be aware that these things can happen. Just explain what you do, and offer to delete the photos if necessary. Some say that would be your last resort because a picture cannot be taken again, but remember, your safety is the most important. One lost photo is better than losing many photos.


Well that would be the end of my rant. Recently, I have taken an interest in panoramas, just because people have been saying you could replace wide angles with those. I'll be experimenting with those and I'll post something about those later.


Until then, happy shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment