Saturday 15 October 2011

Band Shoot

Photography is great. There are so many areas of photography, which gives you a chance to try different things. For instance, last Saturday, UNSW PhotoClub had 2 bands come in for a photo shoot. The members of the bands were awesome, and we had a great time working with them. I have to admit that I was helping out organising rather than shooting, but it was still a great experience. The bands who came were In Measures and This Sanctuary. More to come after the jump.

 

----------------------------------------------

This was the first event which I helped out ever since becoming a General Executive of the club. I was basically tasked with helping out creating a Behind the Scenes (BTS) video for the event. Before I get into that, I'll like to talk about what happened in the shoot. The first location was in a lecture theatre at UNSW, where we utilised both natural and studio lights. So before In Measures arrived, we had set up our studio lights and some funky pattern of bottles on the ground. You can see another club member sitting in the arrangement. So with the studio lights set up, this posed a great chance for people to play with the big lights.

Edwin Lie - Sitting inside the triangle formation

It would take too long to describe the whole day, so I'll sort of generalise it. For both bands, we had an indoor shoot, and an outdoor shoot. Indoors was mainly studio lighting and outdoors being natural. Though, natural light being a pain at times, we used reflectors to fill in some shadows. So how a reflector works if basically a large sheet of reflective material, where you reflect sunlight into the shadows. They seemed quite painful for the models as it's like having a mini sun in your eyes. Would anyone like that?

One cool thing though, was the outdoor shoot for This Sanctuary involved NERF GUNS and a smoke machine!! How awesome is that? Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures to show as I was busy making the video. Which was fun. I'll talk a bit about that as well.


This Sanctuary Band Shoot

I'm not sure if any of you reading like making videos as well, but I have an interest in videography as well. It's quite different producing a video compared to a photo, but both still has very similar things to keep in mind. One thing is editing. You have to keep in mind how you are going to edit your video. This should also be in your mind for photographs as well. Since my video would consists mainly of time lapses (I like these =D), I mostly had to consider the cropping and movement I would do in post. Also I had to consider stability issues, but being time lapses, there was no problem there. I will do another post in the future about time lapses. Because they are fun, duh. Anyway, there has been too much different stuff in this post, so I'll end it here, and go into more depth in later posts. Enjoy my BTS video below!!!




Happy shooting.


No comments:

Post a Comment